Friday, February 29, 2008

Ethiopia DVD

Tonight we watched a DVD entitled Ethiopia- Africa's Lost Kingdom. It is something I found on ebay. It seemed like part documentary part travel video and we really enjoyed it! It was a sort of tour around the country and discussed the diversity of people living there, the languages spoken, ancient treasures, influence of religion on the culture, the story of the Queen of Sheba, and the beauty of the country among other topics. There was some really amazing footage. I also got 2 childrens' books about Ethiopia one about the country in general and one about the various festivals and holidays celebrated there. So our collection of Ethiopian related childrens' books is growing. We already had a fair amount of multi cultural childrens' stories that we used to read to A, G & N. So I think we are off to a good start on our home library. The only other bit of news is that the Adoption Community of New England (ACONE) is having their annual conference which brings together a large group of adoption professionals to speak on various topics and this year it is in Westborough! Tom and I just signed up to go and selected the lectures that we were most interested in. The conference is in the beginning of Aprill and I'll have more on that to come.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura...this is so exciting!!! I didn't realize you were thinking of adopting two! You are one of the only women that I know who could take on such a task. I hope you guys get some good news soon! I'll keep you all in my prayers.
-Sophia

Laura said...

Thanks for that Sophia, I hope we can get together soon.
L.

Anna said...

We purchased this DVD too, although we havent gotten through the whole thing yet. I thought it was pretty dry, but I will try to watch it again and see if I can stay focused :)

Laura said...

Hi Anna, the production value was not so great but I thought it was a good overview of the country and we are just so hungry for things Ethiopian. Have you seen Black Gold? You can buy that on amazon it has some breathtaking footage of Ethiopia. Thanks for checking out our blog. take care,
Laura

Unknown said...

Hi! Just found your blog. We adopted our 2 lovely daughters from Eth. last year and in 2005. Funny you posted about the ACONE conf.; I was tapped to speak at the biological family workshop! Hope to meet you there. :)
~Beth

Laura said...

Hi Beth, Thanks for visiting, maybe we'll catch up with you at ACONE!
Laura